GPS receptors for the outdoor adventure to explore and purchase the car are two different animals, although some may overlap. Foreign policy GPS receivers built to withstand the elements - it is more flexible investment and waterproof. The portable Car GPS also intended to maintain the light and easily with one hand. You must make smaller screens than auto receivers GPS, and the screen is not always in color. The handheld GPS receivers point also, the battery life. Watch our report on handheld GPS for more information.
Car GPS receivers are portable but want more of them are camping. It is watertight, and because of the large screens, they are usually heavier than a portable GPS (although the average weight) is still less than half a pound. The wide screen also undermines the battery life. Most GPS receivers can be in a car cigarette lighter socket. The Car GPS devices related to the provision of maps and audio instructions. Do not just portable GPS receivers are often only based on maps, and some with cards in general.
Car-mounted receivers GPS, also come with a windshield or dashboard, while the majority of portable GPS devices do not.
Other possibilities for car navigation, a smartphone with integrated receiver GPS (see our report on smartphones) or a Bluetooth-enabled laptop or PDA. Some PDA with embedded antenna GPS, while others accept mai receiver accessories. The laptops have screens much larger than the GPS receiver in the car and have plenty of room for cards, but not easily fitted in the car, and will work better if you or plus operator or software that uses voice instructions received. Otherwise, using only dangerous when driving.
Aftermarket Experts say GPS units are better and cheaper than pre-set factory installed in some cars. Factory-installed navigation systems, GPS can not be upgraded and used in a car. However, the unit has installed GPS devices have two advantages: they offer a clean installation, integrated, and is much more difficult than flying Auto Aftermarket devices GPS. This report refers only to a GPS receiver in the secondary market, the factory installed units are rarely checked.
* It's for occasional use, requires only one application smartphone with a GPS. Large companies such as GPS Garmin, TomTom and TeleNav GPS application for iPhone, Blackberry, etc. get in the range of 70 to $ 100 dollars, good reviews. Some applications of May costs only $ 5 or $ 10 and work very well on tests. But experts say dedicated car GPS devices are more accurate and much easier to use. Good budget GPS devices start around $ 100.
* The quantity and quality of maps is essential. It should also in progress (or improvement) if you are driving mature cities such as New York and San Francisco. Some units can download maps through a USB cable or memory card. Receiving devices connected to the power of the Internet by Garmin and TomTom in wireless, automatic updates.
* The automatic route calculation is a standard feature on all cars in good navigation GPS. With more sophisticated equipment, car GPS, you can enter multiple destinations, and the camera will give you the most effective way to achieve all these.
* Look for spoken street names. Instead of giving a single statement, left in 100 meters, models with text to speech to pronounce street names ( 100 meters on the main road, turn left ) in order to provide better information and reduce need to see the screen.
* Make sure your device is able to properly and securely mounted on your dashboard or windshield. Almost all models are equipped with the right material. The experts stress that you can mount the unit where it does not interfere with airbags should. All U.S. states now allow GPS devices to be placed on the windshield.
* Examine the multimedia functions. Many car GPS devices can play MP3 files and store photos. Most models play with built-in speakers, and some also offer an FM transmitter to play through your car stereo system. However, testing is the FM transmitter does not work very well, and some models do not allow music to play and navigate to the same period.
* Decide if you want to get traffic reports in real time and alerts. FM / TMC, MSN Direct, NAVTEQ, XM, Tele Atlas and Clear Channel to offer traffic information in real time. Compatible with GPS devices to download using an integrated or external tuner - or a Bluetooth mobile phone - the information in the routing. Garmin navi Some models come with a free subscription to the service life of other GPS devices usually require a separate annual subscription. Check the coverage, however. Each service is only a limited, but a growing number of major markets. MSN Direct service will begin January 1, 2012 There are no other because of the lack of subscriptions, Microsoft has announced.
* Ensure that the size of the screen your vision and vehicle parking is adequate. Most previous models of GPS and the budget has 3.5 inch screen. Some budget models and more expensive units is 4.3 inches. Garmin has some points to 5 inches.
* Consider a car with a GPS device wholesale points of interest database (5 million or more). Local attractions include sightseeing, hotels, restaurants, gas stations and ATMs. Some devices allow you to download points of interest. Web-linked units offer an unlimited number of users on the Internet, rather than relying on a database over.
* Just comfort features. A touch screen is the norm. Many units simplifies text input, allowing you to do is type letters or names into the database. Just start typing, these units also have options to choose from. Some units allow voice commands, but the experts say, the Garmin Nuvi 885T and nuvi 855 are the only ones that allow GPS devices really loud.
The navigation technology Global Positioning System (GPS), the exact time and location data using the 24 calendar satellite navigation and Ranging (Navstar) satellites are available. Each satellite completes an orbit of Earth every 12 hours. Placed at a level that allows for the same reason, once every 24 hours (less than four minutes) coverage.
Each satellite has a very accurate atomic clock and transmits both the position and time of the signal can be captured by a receiver GPS. A GPS device can receive data from several satellites, and since each satellite information is appropriate for its location and distance, see the GPS unit takes the necessary calculations and to get to a point with an accuracy of about 15 meters. Many factors can affect accuracy, including weather conditions, buildings, tunnels and dense foliage. However, that the most recent beneficiaries of the user to significantly reduce these problems.